Updated: Jun 4, 2019
We test a significant number of printers every month and what we’re finding in the P4014 P4015 P4515 series is that the maintenance reset instructions may vary between machines due to Firmware REV differences.
Essentially there are three methods to reset the maintenance counter on this series.
A Firmware update may be needed to assure proper installation. So in this issue, we offer our expertise and note all the instructions that may work, no matter what the situation is.
P4014 P4015 P4515 series is that the maintenance reset Method 1:
1. Turn the product power off and then on.
2. When XXX MB appears on the display, press and hold down the ‘OK’ button until all three display lights flash once and then remain on (this may take up to 10 seconds).
3. Release the ‘OK’ button and press the ‘up arrow’ to scroll to NEW MAINTENANCE KIT.
4. Press ‘OK’ to reset the maintenance kit counter.
If it does not work, then a Firmware update is required in order to assure proper installation. The firmware version of this model is 04.042.0. If you find yourself in this circumstance simply update the Firmware (which is always a good idea for any printer), and your maintenance reset issue on the P4014 P4015 P4515 series should be resolved.
P4014 P4015 P4515 series is that the maintenance reset Method 2:
This involves performing a Firmware update. Firmware can be downloaded for free, from www.hp.com. The current Firmware version as of 04/01/2009 is 04.047.2. The next section highlights the update procedure using the “HP Easy Firmware Upgrade Utility” from start to finish.
P4014 P4015 P4515 series Firmware Update Downloading the file:
1.Go to www.hp.com.
2.Choose the Support and Drivers tab.
3. Next choose “Download Drivers and Software (Firmware). 4.Where it says “Enter Product Name/Number” type in your machine name or model number, and press enter. 5.This opens a page that lists all the models for this printer. Select the appropriate printer.
6. Now it displays a list of operating systems; at the bottom it will display “Cross Operating System (Bios, Firmware, Diagnostics, Etc.)”.
7. Select this option to bring you to the page to download the Firmware; it lists 4 choices: Windows, UNIX, Mac, and HP Easy Firmware Upgrade Utility for Windows only.
We will cover the “HP Easy Firmware Upgrade Utility for Windows only” in this article.
HP Easy Firmware Upgrade Utility (for Windows only) **It is important to note that this upgrade method requires the driver to be pre-installed on the updating compute.
1.Choose the “Download” button to the right, to start the download automatically. (Depending on your settings you may need to allow the download to occur.)
2.Once the download is completed,
Choose “Open” to unzip the file, (most computers will have the WinZip program installed).
Once unzipped, a window with 2 files in it will open; one is the firmware update application, the other, a ReadMe text file.
Double click the update application to open the update screen.
3.Once the program is running:
Choose your printer from the list of installed printers on the computer you are working on.
Once the window reads the printer you are updating, press the button that reads “Send Firmware”. The update will begin.
The printer will display “Receiving Upgrade” then “Installing Upgrade”. When complete, the printer should restart on its own.
Run a configuration page to verify the latest revision is installed.
4.Once the update has been successful, follow the Maintenance Count Reset Procedure outlined above.
P4014 P4015 P4515 series is that the maintenance reset Method 3:
The third and final method, while not the recommended procedure, is a perfectly acceptable method of resetting the counter. Use this method if you are in a pinch, or you just don’t feel comfortable performing a Firmware update.
Remember, the firmware is the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) of the printer, similar to any computer.
The upgrade allows manufacturers to correct potential issues that arise with the introduction of new or updated features, software and printer drivers. Firmware also applies fixes or adds en